Friday, April 17, 2009

Possible Pancake Convert

I'm not a huge fan of pancakes. This might come as a shock to some of you, particularly those who know me. I'm a huge sweet fan, especially anything with 'cake' in the title, but pancakes, ick. I can't explain it really. There's nothing particularly revolting, that I could describe, about pancakes. It's not the texture, or the flavor. I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was because I grew up on 'Norwegian Pancakes', which is basically a sweeter version of crepes. Very different from the thick, rich, spongey pancakes that are so popular here in the states. I always like the thought of pancakes, but am generally disappointed when I sit down to the breakfast table to eat them. To me, cartoon pancakes are the most appealing of all. I believe the Simpsons have tried converting my brain once or twice, those tall, golden, perfectly round, syrup covered cartoon cakes are oh so delicious looking. But they never taste they way they look on the Simpsons. Maybe I'm weird? No, I'm definitely weird. This I know. I love waffles but generally despise pancakes.

However, this recipe (and the lemon souffle pancakes) are the closest I've come to being a pancake convert. The fresh berries paired with the vanilla bean and the white chocolate chips create a perfect (don't get me wrong, quite rich) batter and cake. I only had one (I'm usually lucky if I can choke down half) and that was primarily due to the richness. Even if you don't put the chips in, I highly suggest next time you make pancakes, put the fruit in, not on top of them. Quite yummy, even to a girl who generally dislikes pancakes. This is a great spring/summer/celebration recipe too. . . mothers day perhaps?

Recipe: Strawberry Vanilla Bean & White Chocolate Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 egg
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean scraped for seeds (or 1 Tablespoon of extract with vanilla bean in it)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 TBS salted butter - melted
1 2/3 cup sliced fresh strawberry
1/3 cup white chocolate chips

Directions:

1. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk egg, milk, and vanilla together.
2. Sift flour, sugar, and powder (all together) over wet mixture.
3. Stir in melted butter
4. Fold in freshly sliced strawberries and white chocolate chips
5. Heat pan or griddle on medium heat.
6. Ladle about 1/3 cup of mixture onto hot griddle, flip when you begin to see air bubbles (only a few minutes)
7. Cook for the same amount of time on other side, until pancakes are golden brown and cooked through.
8. Serve with maple syrup, hot maple butter, or freshly whipped cream.
9. Enjoy!



1 comments:

test it comm said...

Strawberries in the pancakes sound good!