Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From the Oven

First off, I have to praise the weather here in the Northwest. It is gorgeous! Warm, sunny, blue skies with a gentle sweet spring breeze. As close to perfection as the weather can get.

We have a good pita place here in town. Their pitas are thin, light, soft and open seamlessly, perfect for any variety of fillings. Even better, they sell bags of ten for about $2. I promptly purchased a bag. Last night Thomas and I enjoyed pitas full of organic veggies and jarlsberg. Needless to say I wasn't pita satisfied. I wanted more pita today for lunch, however, I didn't want a repeat of dinner, but I did want to keep my lunch light. Scanning the contents of my refrigerator it came to me; Annie's light barbecue sauce, lowfat cheddar cheese, red onion, and rotisserie chicken. . . barbecue chicken pizza on top of a pita, slow roasted in the oven. My lunch was quick, easy, satisfying and extremely light and healthy. It was the perfect pairing to this gorgeous, sunny afternoon.



Recipe: Pita Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Ingredients:

1 pita
2 Tablespoons of barbecue sauce (I used Annie's)
1/4 cooked chicken breast, shredded or cubed
10 thin slices sweet red onion
1/3 shredded lowfat cheddar
a few sprigs of italian parsley

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 Fo
2. Brush pita with barbecue sauce
3. Evenly sprinkle chicken, red onion and lowfat cheddar cheese over the pita
4. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and pizza is heated through
5. Remove pizza from oven and sprinkle with italian parsley
6. Eat and enjoy!



1 comments:

Rachelle said...

Beautiful photos! Looks delicious!