Friday, April 17, 2009

The Best Answer is World Peace.


Last Two Bites, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.




Butternut Squash Jarlsberg, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.



The best answer to any pageant question that is. Am I right or what? It's like the fall back to any pageant question. If you were president what would be your first order of business? World Peace. If you could change one thing about the world today what would it be? World Peace. What is your favorite color? World Peace.

So, here it is. My pageant beauty. She's 100% real baby. Jarlsberg, roasted butternut squash, garlic/chive mayo all sandwihced between two thick slices of rustic rosemary bread. I'm proud of her. Based on the way she tastes, there's no doubt she'd be in the top 5. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you must not know that April is national grilled cheese month (so get out there and grill your cheese!) but you also must not realize that there is such a thing as a grilled cheese pageant. I was thrilled when I stumbled upon this food blogging event. Ah-maz-ing! Truly a stroke of sandwich genius! All of my excitement is owed to Panini Happy. Beyond that, they're offering a prize to one random pageant participant, Tom Colicchio's new book "whichcraft: craft a sandwich into a meal and a meal into a sandwich".

I thoroughly enjoyed eating this incredible sandwich. It was a bit of a fluke honestly. I knew I wanted to use jarlsbery (primarily because I'd picked up over two pounds for less than $10, so I have a lot of it) and for the last week I thought I wanted to pair it with caramelized onion. Yet, this afternoon, I got inspired by some unknown sandwich god and really broke out of any normal panini box. The result? This truly incredible 'grilled cheese'. Truly different than any I've ever had, but yummy nonetheless.

Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash and Jarlsberg Panini with Garlic Chive Mayo on Rosemary Bread

Ingredients:

1 loaf of crusty rosemary bread cut into thick sandwich slices
3 tablespoons of mayo with 3 cloves of garlic (minced) and 3 chives
10 cubes of roasted butternut squash
10 thin slices of jarlsberg

Directions:

1. Generously spread mayo on the inside of two slices of bread
2. Place 5 slices of jarlsberg on each slice
3. Sprinkle roasted squash over one piece
4. Put both slices together, lightly smother the outside of your sandwich with plain mayo (yes, instead of butter, I love it, it tends to make the outside of your sandwich extra crispy and delicious)
5. Heat grill pan on low to medium heat and grill both sides for about 5 mintues, or until golden brown.
6. Viola! Sit down and enjoy! Preferably somewhere sunny and breezy.

Thanks again to Panini Happy for creating such an incredible challenge! It was a great excuse to eat a delicious (and different) grilled cheese sandwich for dinner!




Butternut Squash Jarlsberg, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.




Roasted Butternut Squash, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.




Garlic Chive Mayo, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.


4 comments:

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

Gorgeous photos, Mallory - thanks so much for entering the Pageant!

World Peace!

Sara said...

YUM, this sandwich looks completely delicious!!!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of this grilled cheese sandwich!

Maris said...

Love the looks of this sandwich - this grilled cheese pageant has made me want nothing but grilled cheese for lunch every day! :)