Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Greens & Rice


Greens & Rice, originally uploaded by miss.mallory.

I don't have enough recipes that include kale. It's one of those veggies I'm not extremely familiar with. It's not that I don't love kale, but to me it's this odd salad like veggie that doesn't have many applications. I have the same veggie curiosity with chard. I'm seeking more chard recipes, specifically rainbow, so send them my way if you have any!

I really liked this recipe. It's incredibly simple, especially if you have some leftover rice (takeout etc). Not that rice is difficult to make, all you need is some rice, water a rice cooker and 15 minutes. And for this recipe, a few bunches of fresh kale, one sweet onion, and a few cups of veggie stock. Not only is it super simple, it's ridiculously affordable and deliciously healthy. It is one of those recipes you can walk away from for 15 minutes while it reduces covered on the stovetop, which is the perfect amount of time to catch up on a few emails or watch the last half of the Simpsons. Great, right?!

I couldn't offer you a better recipe if I made and delivered it myself. Give this one a try, I bet you'll love it. It's fresh, a tad creamy and rich, but so easy on your waistline and your budget. Plus, if you want more protein add slices of grilled chicken breast or thinly sliced kalbi beef strips. You simply can't go wrong with this recipe. . .

Recipe: Greens & Rice

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cooked short grain brown rice - cooked
1 medium sweet onion thinly sliced
2 cups cleaned roughly chopped chard (leaf only, stem removed)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chicken stock

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in heavy skillet.
2. Place onion and garlic slices in oil. Saute until tender about 3 minutes.
3. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
4. Add the kale and let saute until it cooks down slightly then add the stock.
5. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add cooked rice and continue to continue cooking until heated thoroughly (about 3 minutes).

0 comments: