Monday, March 19, 2007

Potato Ball Recipe


Potato Ball Production, originally uploaded by razzieswirl.

As I mentioned in the post below I first stumbled upon potato balls when I was 13. I think I was with Sarina. Between school and where we lived sat a little grocery store (now a Haggen grocery store, ick), and in their hot deli case were these small little breaded (and most likely deep fried) extremely delicious potato balls. They were a delicacy for 13 year old me.

When I decided to make my potato smorg I knew I must try to recreate them, it didn't hurt that thomas was beyond excited either. Since I was pretty young when the original potato balls were around I couldn't recall all of the flavors. All I can remember is they had peas in them, they were buttery and salty and delicious. This is how I did it:

Recipe: Potato Balls

4 medium sized red or yukon gold potatoes
2 TBLS Butter
1/4 cup whole milk
1 clove roasted garlic
1/2 onion that's been caramelized
handful of peas
3 slices of chopped fried pancetta
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions:

1. Wash, cut and boil potatoes for about 30 minutes.
2. Drain and add butter (I cover the pot and allow the butter to melt over the potatoes) and the milk and mash.
3. Add your bulb of roasted garlic and your caramelized onions mix in/mash and stir in peas and pancetta.
4. Put mashed tatoes in a seperate bowl and allow to cool a few minutes, cool enough to roll into balls.
5. Roll into medium sized to small balls.
6. Roll in egg wash
6. Roll in bread crumbs (you can do this a few times if you like, thomas thought coating it a few times was better, I thought it was too many breadcrumbs).
7. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until brown and crisp, turning once or twice.
8. Done

This recipe would be better if you made your own breadcrumbs. They were a little dry, I think the originals were fried. It will take a little more of experimentation to get it right. But they were good overall, none were left. So, even if I wasn't as fond of them as the original, the terrible twosome liked them.

xoxo
m.

0 comments: