Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stuffed : Blueberry Vanilla Scones



 Scones. For me it conjures visions of moist, cakey, sweet biscuits, slathered with generous helpings of fresh fruit preserves and lightly whipped cream. An easy little treat I often neglect. Scones are one of the simplest baked goods you can whip up, wonderful for a weekend morning, and even tastier when washed down with a strong cup of black tea. So when I had a lonely little pint of blueberries wasting away in the fridge, and a bit of homemade lemon cream, I knew something had to be done. My first thought, naturally, was blueberry muffins with streusel topping. My second, simple scones split up the middle and stuffed with a few fresh berries, *ding ding ding* I had a winner. Less than an hour later I had these delicious little pastries. Blueberry scones, lemon cream, and black tea, an afternoon pick me up doesn't get much better than that!

Blueberry Stuffed Scones

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 sticks of ice cold butter - cut into tablespoons
3/4 cup buttermilk (as a substitute I generally use milk with a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar)
2 Tablespoons really good vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh berries
sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F

1. Mix flour, both sugars, and baking powder together in the bowl of an electric mixer.
2. On low, medium speed add the butter and mix until butter is incorporated and pebbly. 
3. Mix milk and vanilla, slowly add (on same speed) to your flour/butter mixture until just incorporated.
4. On a flour dusted, clean surface, dump your dough out and shape into a disc or rectangle about 1 1/2 inches thick. 
5. Cut into desired shape, move scones to a prepared baking sheet. If stuffing with berries take a small sharp knife and split the scone open down the middle, throw in a few fresh berries, gently placing the top of the scone around the berries. 
6. Sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, just until the scones begin to take on a golden hue, being careful not to overcook and dry out your scones.
7. Serve hot. I love that with berries you don't need jam, though it's perfectly okay if you want to double up on your scone accoutrements. May I suggest a dollop or two of whipped cream? Or perhaps a generous slather of lemon curd. 

Devour!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me wish I knew how to cook. When I move into the house I'm making a mini resolution to make the recipes that I clip and save. I think I will start with this one!

RamblingTart said...

How beautifully simple and pretty. :-) I've been craving scones the last few days and they would be perfect just like this with a big mug of Earl Grey Tea. :-)

Cooking Club said...

Very beautiful scones! I'm going to give these a shot, and if they look, even remotely, like yours I will be happy :)

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

just found your blog via project gadabout.... your food pictures are gorgeous!

magnificent recipes said...

An amazing recipe!! Tried at home,my family totally loved it. Thanks for sharing it!!