Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Be Entertaining by missmallory
We'll see if I stick with this inspiration board on Wednesday thing. On the one hand I don't feel it's completely food bloggy. Yet, on the other, it adds a weekly flair of my style from many different places from entertaining ideas, decor, food, fashion etc. And lends a little something different to the blog. So, we'll see.
On Friday I'm hosting my cooking clubs holiday dinner (look for a long post this weekend featuring our fun and dishes). I'm hoping to go all out and create not only a mouth watering main dish as well as a killer cocktail, but, I also plan to create a stunning atmosphere that just screams "the holidays have arrived".
I present you with my holiday inspiration board.
1.) Martha Stewarts Tissue Balls : These are available for purchase at Michaels craft stores for about $19.99. While they don't come in red, they can be made by hand. Simply accordian fold about 8 pieces of tissue (like you would a fan), then cut the edges jaggedly or rounded. Secure the middle with floral wire, include a loop to tie your fishing line to. Then pull the the two ends into each other, so your piece makes what looks like a flat circle. From here you delicately pull the layers up and apart, and fluff it. Like a tissue flower. I'm creating about 9 of these in red and white to hang above my table, like a faux chandelier. This is an fairly easy and inexpensive way to add a big wow factor to your entertaining decor.
2.) Am I a little obsessed with Rossanna Inc. or what? In fact, I went down to Seattle this last weekend for their warehouse sale. They open their doors but only twice a year. The "Four Calling Bird" dishes have completely sold out, there are none available through the company but if you search online you can find them. I found a set at Cooking.com . Love the bird motif, perfect for entertaining during the Holidays.
3.) Another Martha idea. This carnation christmas tree would make a fun centerpiece. It also has a lovely vintage flare to it. Fun and a little funky. What's better? Complete Martha directions here.
4.) I wish I had a lovely buffet. Instead, I've sacrificed the extra room in my kitchen to a sofa, which takes precedence over a buffet. This gorgeous little crafty canvas doesn't need to be perched upon a buffet, it would add some sparkle to any room. Simply puncture holes in a plain (or painted) canvas and slip petit white christmas lights through the holes. To create a "burst" cluster punctures closer to each other in the center and create a more spuratic pattern around the main center cluster. You could use any color canvas or lights that you like. A pretty make it yourself art piece that would be pretty year round!
5.) I'll admit it, I'm a little old fashioned and I love, I repeat LOVE, hostess aprons. It's a beyond fabulous addition to your entertaining outfit, especially for the holidays. Heavenly Hostess has an amazing selection of fabulous aprons not for slathering food on, but for entertaining in. Simply lovely!
6. Want to create an amazing and simple holiday cocktail? Easy! In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, dissolve 1/2 cup sugar into 1 1/2 cups water. Add 1 cup of fresh cranberries and simmer for 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain, discard liquid, and place cranberries on a tray in the freezer for at least 2 hours. For each cocktail chill 1 ounce of grapefruit vodka, 2 ounces of champagne, and 1 ounce cranberry juice. Mix these in a champagne glass. Garnish with skewer of 4 or 5 frozen candied cranberries.
7. I've always adored this fancy plastic flatware. Some may think it's tacky, but I love it. It reminds me of some beautiful lucite creation from the 1950's, yet harkens back to Marie Antoinette. Not for everyday, but perfect for entertaining. Check out Charles and Marie for a wide selection from sassy hot pink to classy and clear.
8. I have a set of laser cut felt placemats I bought from target over a year ago that I adore. Since then I've been on the hunt for more. There's something so modern, yet so different and alluring about these placemats. Plus, grey is the new black right? Perfectly pairs with just about any color palette, Christmas colors too. Kikkerland s has these pretty grey placemats for only $6 a pop. Good value for a unique table piece.
9. Not only does this candelabra match the fun plastic flatware, it will reflect christmas lights beautiful. Can't you just see the different colors bouncing through this pretty candle stand? Search spiegel for this fun accent piece.
10. I like placecards, I don't love them, I like them. I think they have their place, and a holiday party is a great place for them. Sit people by others they may not know so well, this will get everyone talking and out of their comfort zones. After one or two champagne cocktails the it will likely be hard to quiet your guests down! These gems, perfect for the holidays and our lovely red theme can be found at Crate and Barrel.
11.) Like many women, I have a thing for shoes. I have a few too many shoes that just sit around a look pretty, unlike many women, I don't wear my heels on a daily basis. I mainly use them when I throw parties. Piperlime has an amazing selection of shoes from many different companies. My boyfriend is a manager at the Gap and I came upon Piperlime via the Gap website (although I'm still unclear the relationship or affiliation, I assume they're owned by Gap as well). Check them out at Piper Lime for a wide selection of pretty shoes for your pretty feet!
Entertaining is an essential aspect of the Holidays for me. I love not only getting creative over the stove or in the oven, but it gives me an opportunity to go decor crazy. I hope you have fun throwing holiday parties this year and I hope that I got some of those creative hostess juices flowing.
Posted by miss mallory opel at 11:37 PM