Wednesday, September 24, 2008
So, after a message from Deb over at Smitten Kitchen I realized I had never posted this recipe. Which is a travesty, because these cinnamon cheesecake crumble cupcakes (or muffins, however you want to look at it) are truly sensational. They are good to go, no frosting required. The swirl of cheesecake, mingled with the spicy cinnamon and topped with an incredible streusel is swoon worthy. In the spring and summer months these cakes are just beautiful (and even more delectable) topped with fresh berries. Since many may consider these 'muffins' due to their lack of frosting, no guilt required when you enjoy one (or two) for breakfast with your morning cup of coffee or tea.
If you're a cheesecake and streusel fan but don't pair them often, you will not be disappointed by this recipe. Give it a whirl!
Recipe: Cinnamon & Vanilla Cheesecake Streusel Cupcakes ( or Muffins):
Makes 12 large Cupcakes
1 1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whole fat sour cream
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup AP flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoon melted unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fo
1. Sift dry ingredients into a small bowl
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat egg, egg yolk, and sugar on medium speed until lightened and thickened appx. 3 minutes
3. Reduce speed to low and add oil, vanilla, and sour cream until blended.
4. Add flour and mix until just blended (do not over blend!)
Cheesecake & Streusel:
1. Line cupcake liner with cupcake papers.
2. To make cream cheese filling; beat cream cheese and sugar together with a hand mixer or in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth, add egg, zest, and extract beat until thoroughly combined. Set aside in a small bowl.
3. To make streusel; in a small bowl, with a wooden spoon mix dry ingredients until well blended, dump in the melted butter and stir until the mixture crumbles.
4. To assemble cupcakes; fill liners half way with cake mixture, spread appx. 1 1/2 Tablespoons cream cheese mixture, top all of that with a overflowing Tablespoon of struesel
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes
The cheesecake mixture will melt into the batter, you'll be left with a moist cake, a thick cream cheese swirl and an unbeatably crunchy topping. For me, this is about as good as it gets for a cupcake!
Posted by miss mallory opel at 3:04 PM