These are amazing. And oh-so easy! If you have a few people coming over for a glass of wine and you want to put more on the table than a bowl of nuts and some slices of cheese, keep these in mind. You don't need to purchase many ingredients (try 3, not including olive oil, since everyone should have large bottle of that lying around), and whips together in a matter of minutes. Plus, everyone you will serve them to will love them. They're salty, tangy, smooth, crunchy and warm. The gorgonzola has such a pungent flavor, the pear is slightly crunchy, cool and sweet, the honey is drizzled atop a thick slice of hot gorgonzola fresh out of the oven. You know when you put peanut butter on a hot piece of toast fresh out of the toaster and it gets all melted and gooey, and if you put a light drizzle of honey on top of the warm melted peanut butter how the honey becomes one with peanut butter, but it's light sweet taste lingers? It's the same idea, but with cheese and pear. You don't even need to know your way around a kitchen to whip these tasty delights up. I've made these on several occasions and every time they've been a hit, and they don't last very long!
Recipe: Pear, Gorgonzola and Honey Crostini
1 baguette sliced (each slice about 1/2 inch thick)
1 healthy block gorgonzola - sliced
1 ripe anjou pear (or other favorite pear) - sliced
A jar of fresh honey
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Arrange the sliced baguette on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
3. Toast in the oven until only slightly turning golden brown (about 5 minutes)
4. Remove bread from the oven and top with a slice of pear, then a slice of cheese.
5. Put the tray back in the oven and toast another 3-5 minutes until gorgonzola has warmed and melted a bit.
6. Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with honey (the crostini need to be extremely hot, so that the honey will glaze the top of the crostini).
7. Serve on a pretty platter, and start another batch pronto, you'll need more, trust me!